The cause of a huge fire at Johnson’s Garden Centre near Boston, Lincolnshire has been disclosed.
Staff pulled animals from the pet store at the burning building after fire raged at around 11.24am on April 5.
Two explosions were heard as the flames spread.
After an investigation, fire chiefs have revealed that the fire was caused by sparks from an incinerator. These then set a wooden fence on fire.
A Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said: “The incident resulted in severe damage by fire to ten metres of leylandii hedging and metal polythene tunnels measuring approximately 50m by 150m, and their contents.
“This included waste and polystyrene compactors, an incinerator, four propane cylinders, two wooden sheds, approximately three tonnes of wooden garden features, a large quantity of garden ornaments and garden products.
“The fire was caused by sparks from an incinerator igniting wooden fence panels.”
The brave employees pulled the animals clear of danger despite hearing two explosions as the flames began to take hold.
Others tried to contain the blaze themselves and were relieved when crews from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue arrived at the scene shortly afterwards.
Police were also called to help and the road was blocked off to the public while the incident was brought under control.