Every year, a small group of people from around the globe enrol on the Royal Horticultural Society’s MHort Award to further grow their career and broaden their horticultural perspectives.
The Level 6, degree-level equivalent Award provides candidates with a holistic view of the industry within a global context.
Completed part-time over three years, the MHort is highly flexible allowing professional horticulturists the opportunity to expand and develop their researching, writing, and business and managerial skills whilst engaging with a range of professional networks.
The Award comprises eight units, covering a broad range of knowledge and skills. From whatever area of the industry, candidates gain a solid grounding of basic concepts, as well as being able to specialise in a chosen area. In year two, the unit concepts are applied to a chosen field and, in year three, a dissertation allows the candidate to select an area to research in more detail.
Delivery takes place online through the RHS MHort Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), allowing flexible research at a time and place to suit prior to assessment hand-in dates, provided at the beginning of the programme.
Key benefits of the Award are:
- Develop awareness of all areas of the horticultural industry, within a global context.
- Improve skillsets in problem-solving, successful communication and adapting to change.
- Widen knowledge of different business models and acquire project management competences.
- Gain effective research skills to relay key information into professional reports.
- Understand and enhance your personal management style, for productive relationships.
- Discover a global professional network for in-industry problem solving, career advice, and development.
- Earn the right to use the designation MHort (RHS) after your name.
- Flexible payment options, including monthly, to help spread the cost.
Visit the RHS MHort webpage to find out about entry requirements, or download the MHort Fact Sheet. You can also read MHort Candidate Stories on why others chose to complete the Award and what is has done for their careers.
If you are unsure if you meet the entry requirements, or if you have any other questions, then email the MHort team who can discuss your individual situation with you.
Applications for the MHort Award are open until 2 August 2021.